Wayne Smith, Director
Wayne advises businesses, not-for-profit organisations and private investors, helping them to understand and capture the full value of their property assets so that they can achieve their commercial and organisational objectives.
Value to Clients
- Very experienced in maximising value and benefit from property for clients.
- Protects clients and maximises for them in negotiations with property market participants.
- Finds value in challenging circumstances and solves property problems.
- Interprets market trends to help clients’ achieve their objectives.
- Recommends the specific steps for achieving maximum benefit to the client while minimising their risk.
Wayne learned how to create value for landowners through his time as a director of the two leading international real estate firms and working in development management with Augusta for over a decade. He has had direct experience of principal’s financial risk exposure in significant property developments and he regularly negotiates complex development agreements with developers on behalf of clients. He also has experience of renegotiating existing agreements with developers to achieve more favourable terms for our clients.
Wayne has a Bachelor’s degree in Property and has undertaken post-graduate study in finance and investment. He has served on the Property Council of Australia (NSW) industrial property committee and as presenter in the Property Council development education program. He has extensive experience having advised and worked on development projects worth in the hundreds of millions and having been involved in several hundred transactions across all real estate sectors as a principal, advisor or intermediary.
Martin Hillier, Director
Martin enjoys applying his skills and expertise gained through long and direct experience in the property industry for the benefit of Augusta’s clients. He helps landowners to understand and capitalise on the development potential of their properties while minimising their exposure to risk.
Value to Clients
Martin knows the development process by direct experience. He provides clients with knowledge and skills which help to create a level playing field for them in their dealings with developers, real estate agents, councils and technical consultants, to maximise their property outcomes.
- Has been there – undertaken multiple developments including as principal
- Is expert in the property development process
- Knows how to calculate what a developer can pay
- Understands risk and how to minimize risk exposure
- Knows how developers think and can predict their behaviour
- Can provide ongoing support to deliver the outcome
Martin has over 30 years of hands-on experience in the Australian property industry. He has undertaken site assessments and feasibility analyses, project design, approval and construction, project finance and the leasing and sale of completed developments. Projects have ranged in size from $5m to $2b.
After commencing his property career with a private builder-developer Martin then operated in a corporate environment with the Leighton Group. Subsequently Martin was general manager of the property section at APP where a highlight was redevelopment of CSIRO’s 29ha site at Macquarie Park into Riverside Corporate Park, winner in 2000 of Property Council of Australia’s national award for best development.
Martin has been at Augusta since 2003 where his focus has been to provide commercial property advice to landowners. Clients who have benefited include Adelaide, Deakin and Wollongong Universities, Bankstown Airport, Kennards Hire, the Sydney Antique Centre and numerous private businesses, individuals, clubs, church groups, schools and other not-for-profit organisations.
Jon Chambers, Director
Jon helps Augusta clients understand their property opportunities; from initial high level analysis through to realisation of their goals. He works on all aspects of the value chain, always taking the client through all steps to completion of the engagement.
Value to Clients
Jon has worked across the real estate spectrum, from providing advice to being joint principal in major development projects covering the CBD and regional commercial office, hotel, residential and industrial sectors. Jon also has a strong background in Australian Stock Exchange listed and unlisted diversified real estate funds management:
- Has done it – taken risk and understands the key disciplines for success
- Experienced the total activity range from initial project idea through to handing over the keys when complete
- Keenly focused on market trends and the macro environment in which they evolve
- Refined the ability to quickly assess new opportunities and their inherent risks and rewards
- Having managed both listed and unlisted real estate trusts, clearly understands responsibility to the client. They’re called “trusts” for a reason.
After graduating in Economics and Politics from Monash University, Jon started his career with Lend Lease in Melbourne. Subsequently he moved to Sydney with Westfield; all this leading to him joining with two partners who together went on to build a strong development and project management company, completing such projects as the Sydney Park Hyatt Hotel, The Sydney Shangri-La Hotel, the Qantas Airport Centre buildings at Mascot, the ING headquarters in Sydney and many others including hotel projects in Tahiti and Indonesia.
Jon subsequently joined Mirvac and gained a strong real estate funds management background having been CEO of Mirvac Funds Limited and a member of the Mirvac Limited Executive Committee. During this period the funds management business was reorganised, the Capital Property trust was bought and stapled to the Mirvac Property Trust and Mirvac Limited, forming the stapled Mirvac unit traded on the ASX today.
Jon completed the Owner Presidents Program at the Harvard Business School, is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, a member of the Australian Property Institute and a CPA. He is also a Director of Harvard Philanthropy Pty Ltd, as well as a number of unlisted companies.